Coronation Field Willow Lane Lancaster LA1 5LP


Mrs Janet Truman 0785-541-2817


Ground: Post Code: LA1 5LP ‘Coronation Field’ “Willow Lane” Lancaster. From the City Centre to Castle Railway Station, then follow road to the end, then turn right at mini-roundabout. Ground on left.

Change in pavilion on ground. Separate changing room for referees.

Club Colours: Amber and Black Striped Shirts, Black Shorts, Black Socks.

Change Colours: Blue and Purple Shirts White Socks Purple Socks

Club Meeting: Held in Lancaster Cricket Club, on Wednesdays fortnightly at 7-30pm.

How it all began.

In 1968 the Marsh Estate was a fun place to live. All the local lads had been to all the Marsh schools, nursery, infants and juniors and were now attending the senior schools of Ripley and Castle, no one succeeded in getting to the Grammar school, surprise surprise. They were all teenagers and the after school sport was football, mainly on the Infant school playing field, until the school caretaker booted them off. They would play 6, 10, 15 and sometimes 20 a side. They had also started arranging a few friendly games at the weekend with other teams in Lancaster. Later that same year some of the lads had started work in their new jobs; some had gone on to further education. Ray Truman had started to attend Lancaster & Morecambe College and was playing football for the college team. That same college team included Henry Atkinson, Dave Anthony, Stefan Basaj and Andy Pye, all of which would be playing for the Marsh in 12 months time in the North Lancs League, although they didn’t know it at the time. These 5 players were to become regular players in the first Marsh United team. Whilst still playing for the college it was becoming more difficult to field a team of 11 players every Saturday. Even though it was against college rules, 2 Marsh lads were drafted in to play 1 game to help out. Those 2 players were Billy Breen and Billy Marshall. To the college team delight, they both stayed to play many games.
The scene had now been set. 7 players from the college team would now form the backbone of the Marsh team who were entering the North Lancs Junior Football League the following year.

First Season – 1969 - 1970

Before the season commenced, off field support was required. The Marsh had no shortage of volunteers and soon had a committee,
Chairman – Joe Truman
Treasurer – Geoff Hunt
Secretary – Ron Newton
Committee – Tony Hewitson.

The team were to play on Willow Lane on the Marsh. The same home ground as today. The changing facilities were at the scouts hut on Willow Lane. The hut has now gone and the changing facilities are now on the Coronation Field.
Outdoor training was on the Coronation Field and Indoor training was at St George church on Willow Lane. Unfortunately the church has now gone. Everything was local to the Marsh Estate. Training was taken by John Haggan and Alf Wright, who both lived on the Marsh. It was like corporal punishment but they had a squad of 17 very fit players.
Fund raising was part of being a member of Marsh United and all players and officials would go out and sell draw tickets and run raffles.
With the first ever competitive season about to begin the club had 17 signed players.

Ray Truman (Captain) - Billy Breen (Vice Captain) – Henry Atkinson – Dave Anthony – Stefan Basaj – Andy Pye – Graham Green – Andy Buczynski – Dave Todd – Billy Marshall – Geoff Horrocks – David Sherliker – Tony Cummings – Brian Phillips – Thomas Haggan – Paddy Carr – Johnny Ham.

The first fixture was against Woodhill Rangers at home. The crowd was well over 100 spectators and the Marsh won 4-0. These results were to carry on all season as the Marsh never lost a match. At the end of the season they had won the:

North Lancs & District Junior League.
Dilworth Junior Cup.
Junior Challenge Cup.

What a season it was. The Junior Challenge Cup was played at the former Christie Park, home of Morecambe FC. For the final, spectators and team members filled 2 full coaches from Battersby’s. After the match presentations the team coach headed home to the Marsh, doing a full tour of the estate. Banners were out all over the estate and people everywhere. The first season was over and the team were heading to the Carnforth Hotel for the end of season bash. Alan Spavin, Preston North End player was head guest and presented all the trophies and awards. Most of the squad were now too old to play in the Junior League so the club applied to enter the Senior League of the North Lancs. They were accepted into the division 4 for the forth coming season.
A rude awakening awaited them.

Latest Results

Wed 27 Apr
5 – 0 L
Thu 21 Apr
4 – 3 W
Sat 16 Apr
2 – 0 L

Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.