3 days ago By Peter Boardman

Saturday 17th February 2018



Another 8 games cancelled bring the total so far this season to 160, more than a quarter of all fixtures sent out.

In the Fisher/Howson Remembrance Cup 3rd Round:

Mayfield United Reserves from Division One travelled to play Arnside Reserves bottom team in Division Three a side that has won only one league game this season. It was evident from the first whistle that Arnside was going to be outplayed as Mayfield the more experienced side were much quicker to the ball and their passing much more crisper. In Jamie Taylor they had a player who was virtually unplayable as he went on to score four times, strike partner Jack Reay scored a hat-trick. Arnside did have chances, one of which hit the woodwork but overall Mayfield deserved to be in the semi-final where they will away to the winners of the Carnforth Rangers 'A' or Highgrove Reserves tie.

Cartmel and District Reserves travelled to play holders Caton United Reserves not knowing what to expect. Caton Reserves fielded virtually a 'new team' and a new manager Andy Kehoe in charge. Caton Reserves fielded four veteran 'retired' players to help them fulfill the fixture. The new team performed really well in the circumstances. Although Cartmel deserved to win, the Caton side gave them a good game as they created some chances of their own, hitting the bar once and going close on a few occasions. Cartmel fielded a team that contained Joel Drinkall who in his day was a prolific scorer when in the first team, now he is plying his trade in mid-field for the Reserves and doing an excellent job. But it was young Aidan Pearson that was the difference between the two teams. His two goals were well worked with Drinkall involved with both, the first one was scored in the last minute of the first half and the second one in the second minute of the start of the second half. In the semi-final Cartmel will be away to the winners of the Carnforth Rangers Reserves or Ingleton Reserves tie.

In the Premier Division:
Leaders Carnforth Rangers entertained Ingleton on the 3G pitch at College as their pitch was deemed unfit for play for the fourth game running. The game was excellent with both sides playing really well and showing how football should be played as the game flowed from end to end. Carnforth won with goals from Jordan Darby, Aaron Hoyle and the eventual winner from Cameron Holmes. Ingleton who had more chances than Carnforth will be rueing the misses did score twice through Eddy Read and the excellent Steve Havelyn. This win keeps Carnforth nine points in front of second placed Storeys.

After their original games were cancelled College AFc and Caton United agreed at 11-45pm to re-arrange their fixture and play on the 3G at Heysham High School. A recent game at the 3G at College ended in a 1-0 win for Caton. This game was different with Caton dominating the early stages and taking a 1-0 lead with a great Jordan Sparks goal. College who appear to enjoy playing on the plastic pitch equalised just before half-time with Hakan Optem scoring after a good spell of pressure. The second half was quite even until Caton hit a purple patch in the 70th minute which resulted in substitute Alex Hartley returning after a long term injury putting Caton into the lead again. Caton piled on the pressure and went into a 3-1 lead when Asa Stone scored a good goal. With time running out Hartley put the game beyond College with his side’s fourth goal. In the last two minutes College AFc managed to make the final score 4-2 when Peter Tiesteel scored from the penalty spot. This win moves Caton into third place their highest position this season.

In a very competitive game played on Willow Lane, Highgrove with the last unbeaten record in the Premier Division lost it when they were beaten by a good Marsh United side by 2-1. Marsh was slightly the better side as they wanted to win more and were quicker to the ball for most of the game. Both sides created chances as they went all out to win the game Danny Wilson was the first to convert a chance to give Marsh the lead. Marsh took advantage of this as Highgrove threw everyone forward looking for the equaliser but got caught out when the excellent Joe Pollard doubled Marsh's lead with a stunning goal. Highgrove still pushed forward in an attempt to get back into the game. With time running out Highgrove were awarded a penalty from which George Martin converted, but it was too little too late as Marsh held out for a great 2-1 win.

Second placed Storeys enjoying their return to the Premier Division entertained lowly Arnside on a pitch showing wear. From the first whistle Storeys took the game to Arnside and in the first minute they could have scored only to be denied by a smart save by the keeper. Storeys pressure paid off in the fifth minute when a loose ball was collected by 17 years old scoring sensation Nathan Hegarty, he looked up saw the keeper off his line then calmly chipped the ball over the keeper and into the net. Storeys kept up the pressure and penned Arnside inside their own half mainly in their penalty area. A cross from the right wing to the far post was met by Hegarty whose header from a tight angle found the back of the net to make it 2-0. Play became ragged for awhile but the chances mostly fell to Storeys. Whenever Arnside attacked they were broken up by a solid Storeys defence which was marshalled very well by the experienced Sam Beacham. The next good chance fell to Storeys in the 24th minute but a strong shot from Luke Atkinson went just over the bar. Storeys kept up the pressure and in the 38th minute Ben Rotherey had a great chance but the ball ran away from him. The half time whistle came with Storeys well on top but only leading by 2-0. The second half started brightly for Storeys as they carried on their dominance from the first half and again within five minutes of the re-start Storey went into a 3-0 lead when Ben Rothery scored with ease as he was allowed plenty of space. The game again went scrappy but Storeys still had the upper-hand and chances being wasted. Storeys raised their game with the introduction of their substitutes and Arnside just could not cope with the pace the young players brought to the game. After a great right wing cross found Rothery his first time shot flew into the net to make it 4-0 and game over. Luke Atkinson found time to move into attack and his close range shot all along the ground made it 5-0. With time running out Rothery completed his excellent hat-trick with another close range shot to make the final score 6-0.

All Division One games were cancelled;

In Division Two:
The match of the day was between Halton Rangers and Bolton Le Sands two promotion hopefuls. The game was end to end with both sides playing excellent football with chances at a premium. Both defences were well on top and it looked as though the game would end goal less until Ryan Cunningham scored the only goal of a great game. This defeat leaves Halton the outsiders for promotion as they trail second placed Kirkby Lonsdale by five points and level on games played and three points behind Bolton le Sands who have played two games less.

Kirkby Lonsdale travelled to Allithwaite to play Cartmel and District 'A' looking to gain three points to help them gain promotion. The game was very even and had to rely on their veteran striker Mark Rogerson who completed a brilliant hat-trick to win the game virtually on his own. Cartmel played as well as they were allowed to on a pitch showing wear and tear after the foul weather of late. The one goal Cartmel scored was by Charlie Sterm and was well deserved.

In Division Three:
Bowerham Dynamos played their first game in 2018 but it looked as though they had played every week as they demolished third placed Conder Green by 6-1 with
goals from Callum Connorton (2), Steve Copeland, Jamie Townley, Simon Wearing and Mohammad Sulliman. Leading scorer Oliver Applegate scored a consolation for Conder Green.

Galgate Reserves won in a canter when they entertained an improving Fc Brittania Reserves side but had to work hard in the early stages. Once Galgate got into their stride it was mainly one way traffic with Paul Drinnan opening the scoring followed by veteran Nathan Bindless, Alex Simmill (2) and John Stoddy also with two. Fc Brittania's replies were from Sam Walmsley and Liam Forsythe.

Where next?

Eric Beniston Eric Beniston
Saturday 10th February Saturday 10th February Only Two matches on

Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.