2 weeks ago By Peter Boardman

Saturday 3rd February 2018



Another fixture programme almost wiped out due to the persistent overnight and Saturday morning rain. All the Premier Division Cup matches were washed out.

One Premier Division game was rearranged and played on the 3G pitch at College. Two games were played in Division One, one game in Division Two on the 4G at Preesall and just one game in Division Three.

In the Premier Division:
After both their games had been called off, College AFc and Caton United agreed at short notice to arrange to play their game on the 3G pitch at College.The first 20 minutes was quite sedate with both sides playing as though it was just a training session. The first chance of the game fell to the College side in the 22nd minute when after some good football a long pass through the centre of Caton's defence was collected by centre forward Worrall who in a mazy run found himself in the penalty area but was unable to get his shot away and he was dispossessed near the 6 yard line when he should have done better. From the clearance the ball was swept out to Caton's right winger Jordan Sparks who raced down the wing before sending over a cross to the far post where the ball was headed inches wide by Asa Stone. Within five minutes Caton created another decent chance after Christian Sawacki making his debut this season after being out with a long term injury made a superb pass between two defenders for Moffatt to run onto but his shot from 15 yards was well saved by the keeper with his legs, Moffatt following through hit the rebound wide. Caton was now well on top but just could not make the break through and on the half hour a shot from Darren Briggs was headed off the line. College always looked dangerous going forward up to Caton's penalty area where their attacks often broke down and did not cause the keeper any problems. They did cause one bit of concern shortly after when a poor back pass from the central defender was only cleared by the alert keeper just before Worrall could react to the chance. With just two minutes to the break Caton took a just about deserved lead after another swift right wing run and cross by Sawacki was not cleared and as the ball fell Asa Stone's volley hit the back of the net before the keeper could move to give Caton a 1-0 lead at half-time. The second half was just two minutes old when a College attack down their left wing and a cross to the far post caught the defence of Caton out of position and the College attacker was unlucky to see his first time volley go inches wide. Straight from the goal kick Caton were back on the offensive with Darren Briggs pace taking him past his attacker but his shot went high and wide. Caton had most of the early possession and had more clear chances on goals but when they managed to hit the target they were thwarted by the brilliance of the College keeper. In the 50th minute he went full stretch to turn the ball round the post from a Jordan Sparks shot. College started to come more into the game and on the hour mark could/should have equalised only for the attackers shot to go inches wide following a good left wing move. Most of College's attacks were down their left wing which brought them more chances but failed only because Caton's defence played really well as a unit. As College started to dominate the game it looked only a matter of time before they would score the equaliser, but they couldn't find a way to test the keeper. On a breakaway the speedy Jordan Sparks was yards in front of the chasing defenders and it looked as though the points would be going to Caton and with only the keeper to beat but it was the keeper who came out on top diving to his left and getting a hand to the ball as Sparks tried to go round him. In the last five minutes College threw everything at the Caton defence but with Curtis Wood playing superbly they never got any decent chances.

In Division One:
Just two games beat the weather, one at Allithwaite and the other at nearby Grange. Cartmel Reserves entertained bottom team Ingleton Reserves on a pitch that was wet and only passed fit an hour before the start of the game. From the start Cartmel looked to be the better side but had to be watchful for Ingleton Reserves breakaways which on occasions were dangerous. Once Cartmel scored their opening goal it became evident that Ingleton would struggle to contain the Cartmel side. After 75 minutes play the pitch turned into a quagmire and cut up badly, but not before the excellent Joel Drinkall had scored two brilliant goals followed by young Aidan Pearson also with two good goals with the fifth coming from Nial Cowperthwaite.

Grange was involved in a great game of football with Burton Thistle, a team that had beaten them 11-2 earlier in the season. Grange set off with the intention of not allowing Burton to get on top and dominate the game as they did in the first game. It was Grange that did the early running and was the better team for a long time. but as the pitch got worse Burton scored two goals through Tom Forest and leading scorer Mark Johnson. William Burrows scored the goal of the game for an unlucky Grange who slipped to a 2-1 defeat.

Where next?

Saturday 10th February Saturday 10th February Only Two matches on
Ashley Cross Memorial Team of the Month - January 2018 Ashley Cross Memorial Team of the Month January 2018 Conder Green

Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.